Say NO to Grapes and Raisins

SAY NO .

Their begging eyes do not know the dangers of grapes and raisins! Grapes and Raisins are serious health threats.  Thank you for the reminder – Mary Langstan-Buchanan, part of our Pet Dangers community.  Here is some more information on this subject from us.

Grapes and raisins are often purchased particularly in the summertime.  As with all food, those begging eyes want to taste whatever you are eating, but this time please NO!
Eating grapes and/or raisins (dried grapes) can cause the sudden development of kidney failure especially in dogs, but it has also been the case in some cats and ferrets with halting their production of urine. Some dogs may even suffer more than others causing severe kidney damage leading to (sudden) kidney failure with inability to eliminate urine. However, kidney failure is not seen in all dogs after eating grapes or raisins.  The actual reason for this is still being studied, however experts believe it might be associated with the flesh of the fruit. In other words, peeled and/or seedless grapes are still toxic.
Grape and raisin poisoning will usually cause dogs to develop some combination of the following symptoms: 

  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea – often within a few hours of eating grapes or raisins
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, unusual quietness
  • Stomach pain
  • Dehydration
  • Producing small amounts of urine or non at all.
  • Bad breath
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma

In an Emergency – Contact Your Vet

Unless instructed by your vet do not try these at home – Some of the treatments used by vets in this situation will include inducing vomiting possibly followed by washing out the stomach and administration of activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxin. After this, he or she may begin intravenous fluid therapy to flush the toxin out of the dog’s bloodstream and to encourage the kidneys to keep producing urine.

Say NO to fruits that can be toxic to dogs, cats or both are the following:

  • Cherries
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Grapefruit and persimmons
  • Raisins
  • Grapes

Say YES to fruits that can be consumed by cats and dogs in limited quantities as most contain sugar and can lead to obesity????

  • Apple
  • Apricot
  • Banana
  • Blueberries
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cranberries
  • Mango
  • Orange
  • Pear
  • Pineapple
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Watermelon

Watermelon is almost 92% water can keep your pet hydrated. It also contains Vitamins A, C, and B-6, as well as potassium which helps maintain healthy muscle and nerve function.
Be sure to wash all fruits and remove rinds, inedible skins, seeds, and pits before feeding to pets.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest

RELATED POSTS

Splay No More Max

Seniors Should Not Do Splits!

We finally found the right product for our  quite zippy Daphne,  who is our 14 year old Springer Spaniel!  Really the only way you can …

Read More →
chauncey-lace

Beware of Poisonous Imposters

Queen Anne’s Lace is a very common during the summertime in New England.  The fields are full of them where we live.  Pictured above are …

Read More →
benadryl

Benadryl and Dogs

Can Benadryl be a choice in treating your dog when they have an itch? You spend a ton of money at the vet and suddenly …

Read More →

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top