dog warning

Pet Danger – Not all Vegetables are great for your Pet

Trupanion veterinarian, Sarah Nold, DVM, offers expert advice on incorporating fruits and vegetables into your pet’s diet, including which fruits and vegetables have the biggest health benefits and what to do if you believe your cat or dog may have a food allergy. Adding fruits and vegetables to your pet’s diet will help ensure that …

Pet Danger – Not all Vegetables are great for your Pet Read More »

Coleus

It was Coleus that started us on our journey to help pet owners identify items that may be dangerous to their pets. Our younger dog Chauncey ingested Coleus (he recovered well) and the rest is history. While coleus plants are nontoxic to humans, the essential oils they contain are toxic to pets. If a dog …

Coleus Read More »

Lilly of the Valley

These Lillie’s are dangerous for dogs and eating  the leaves, flower or root of this lily, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, slowed heart rate, severe heart arrhythmias, seizures and, in severe cases, even death. petmd.com

Cyclamen

Cyclamen are often found at the supermarket alongside the poinsettia and can often be found on the table indoors as a decoration. Cyclamen can cause a wide range of problems for pets, ranging from excessive salivation and digestive upset to seizures and heart rhythm abnormalities. In small ingestions, most pets will suffer only mild digestive upset. However, …

Cyclamen Read More »

Chrysanthemum

These common flowers contain lactones and pyrethrin, which cause intestinal irritation. While not lethal, eating any part of the plant can result in vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, skin rashes, and loss of coordination.

Rhododendron and Azalea

These  are very toxic to dogs. Effects typically occur within a few hours after ingestion, and can include acute digestive upset, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, frequent bowel movements /diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, loss of coordination, stupor, leg paralysis, weak heart rate and may cause death. aspca.org 

Holly

Holly is toxic to dogs and surprisingly it is the leaves that are the major problem. Eating the leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal injury due to the sharp points on the leaves. Symptoms include lip smacking, drooling, and head shaking. akc.org

Grapes and Raisins

Both grapes and raisins can cause sudden kidney failure. Vomiting is usually seen within 12 hours of ingestion. Other signs that may occur within 24 hours include: Diarrhea, Lethargy, Lack of appetite, Decreased urination, Weakness and Abdominal pain.  banfield

Garlic and Onions

This may  also include leeks and chives but GARLIC is the most toxic. It often begins with irritation of the mouth and nausea, both of which cause dogs to drool excessively. They can also cause abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. vca hospitals

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top