cat warning

Pet Danger – Not all Vegetables are great for your Pet

Trupanion veterinarian, Sarah Nold, DVM, offers expert advice on incorporating fruits and vegetables into your pet’s diet, including which fruits and vegetables have the biggest health benefits and what to do if you believe your cat or dog may have a food allergy. Adding fruits and vegetables to your pet’s diet will help ensure that …

Pet Danger – Not all Vegetables are great for your Pet Read More »

Coleus

It was Coleus that started us on our journey to help pet owners identify items that may be dangerous to their pets. Our younger dog Chauncey ingested Coleus (he recovered well) and the rest is history. While coleus plants are nontoxic to humans, the essential oils they contain are toxic to pets. If a dog …

Coleus Read More »

Amaryllis

The beauty of the flowering Amaryllis is matched by its toxicity. The Amaryllis contains Lycorine and other noxious substances, which cause salivation, gastrointestinal abnormalities (vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, and abdominal pain), lethargy, and tremors in cats. The bulb of the plant is reputed to be even more dangerous than the flowers and stalk. petmd.com Photo by Frédéricke Boies on Unsplash

Golden Pothos

Also known as Pothos, Devil’s Ivy, Taro Vine, Ivy Arum is toxic for both cats and dogs.According to the ASPCA poison page it contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae family.  This can cause Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing. ASPCA

Sago Palms

All parts of the Sago Palm are poisonous, but the seeds (nuts) are the most toxic to pets. Within fifteen minutes of eating any part of a sago palm, a cat may display the following gastrointestinal signs: vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and refusal to eat. Within two to three days of ingestion of even a tiny amount of …

Sago Palms Read More »

Lillies

Like Tiger lilies, and the other members of the Lilum genus, the ‘true lilies’ as they are known, are highly toxic to cats. So too are certain types of Day lilies. They are so toxic, that a nibble on one or two petals, a lap of spilled vase water, or the ingestion of a small amount …

Lillies Read More »

Alcohol

Alcohol can also easily cause severe liver and brain damage. As little as a tablespoon can put an adult cat in a coma; a little more can kill them.  It can can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death See also ASPCA and PetMd Thanks for pic to philly.thedrinknation.com/

Grapes and Raisins

Both grapes and raisins can cause sudden kidney failure. Vomiting is usually seen within 12 hours of ingestion. Other signs that may occur within 24 hours include: Diarrhea, Lethargy, Lack of appetite, Decreased urination, Weakness and Abdominal pain.  banfield

Garlic and Onions

This may  also include leeks and chives but GARLIC is the most toxic. It often begins with irritation of the mouth and nausea, both of which cause dogs to drool excessively. They can also cause abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. vca hospitals

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top