Warning

Pet Danger – Hand Sanitizer/Disinfectant Recall

Although this is not directly related to our pets it is possible that they could be exposed to it and be hurt. ITECH 361 is voluntarily recalling 18,940 bottles of All Clean Hand Sanitizer, Moisturizer and Disinfectant sold in one liter bottles to the consumer level. The products are being recalled due to the potential presence …

Pet Danger – Hand Sanitizer/Disinfectant Recall Read More »

Too Hot to Handle – Pet Heat Exhaustion

What is heat exhaustion? Over exposure during hot summer days can de-hydrate pets and cause hyperthermia when your pet’s temperature rises above a healthy range making them unable to regulate their own body heat. The result of prolonged hyperthermia can result in heat exhaustion, lost consciousness and organ failure. Dogs are more sensitive to heat …

Too Hot to Handle – Pet Heat Exhaustion Read More »

Coleus

It was Coleus that started us on our journey to help pet owners identify items that may be dangerous to their pets. Our younger dog Chauncey ingested Coleus (he recovered well) and the rest is history. While coleus plants are nontoxic to humans, the essential oils they contain are toxic to pets. If a dog …

Coleus Read More »

Amaryllis

The beauty of the flowering Amaryllis is matched by its toxicity. The Amaryllis contains Lycorine and other noxious substances, which cause salivation, gastrointestinal abnormalities (vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, and abdominal pain), lethargy, and tremors in cats. The bulb of the plant is reputed to be even more dangerous than the flowers and stalk. petmd.com Photo by Frédéricke Boies on Unsplash

Golden Pothos

Also known as Pothos, Devil’s Ivy, Taro Vine, Ivy Arum is toxic for both cats and dogs.According to the ASPCA poison page it contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae family.  This can cause Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing. ASPCA

Sago Palms

All parts of the Sago Palm are poisonous, but the seeds (nuts) are the most toxic to pets. Within fifteen minutes of eating any part of a sago palm, a cat may display the following gastrointestinal signs: vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and refusal to eat. Within two to three days of ingestion of even a tiny amount of …

Sago Palms Read More »

Lillies

Like Tiger lilies, and the other members of the Lilum genus, the ‘true lilies’ as they are known, are highly toxic to cats. So too are certain types of Day lilies. They are so toxic, that a nibble on one or two petals, a lap of spilled vase water, or the ingestion of a small amount …

Lillies Read More »

Alcohol

Alcohol can also easily cause severe liver and brain damage. As little as a tablespoon can put an adult cat in a coma; a little more can kill them.  It can can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death See also ASPCA and PetMd Thanks for pic to philly.thedrinknation.com/

Yeast Dough

Don’t spoil your pet’s holiday by giving them access to raw yeast bread dough. When a cat ingests raw bread dough, the yeast continues to convert the sugars in the dough to carbon dioxide gas and alcohol. This can result in bloated drunken pets, which could become a life-threatening emergency, requiring hospitalization. ASPCA

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top